How to use Skype in Dubai
The national carrier, Etisalat, has blocked Skype, and apparently all VoIP applications, from being used in Dubai. I clearly wasn't happy with this, so searched for a way to circumvent this restriction, to find a way to unblock Skype in Dubai...
After playing unsuccessfully with Tor I found that using a VPN was the way forward and there is a very cheap solution for this. Here's the step by step guide:
- Go to http://ultravpn.lynanda.com/
- Read about who they are if you're interested (their primary aim is apparently to allow people in censored countries to connect to news sources that would otherwise be blocked)
- Click 'Download now', save the file to your computer and then run it to install Ultra VPN
- Go back to the site, and click "Test and Buy" (http://ultravpn.lynanda.com/account.htm)
- In the "Register a new account" section, choose and enter a username and password
- Make sure UltraVPN is started - it's a small icon next to your clock if it is, and in your start menu if not
- Right click the UltraVPN icon and click "Connect"
- Enter your username and password
- After about 10-15 seconds you should be connected via UltraVPN
- Skype should now connect and work perfectly and you will appear to the world as if you are based in France (so some sites might start showing you french options or french adverts)
- After a 3 day trial you will need to pay to continue to use UltraVPN - go back to the site and use the "Recharge you account" option on the "Test and Buy" page. It's $2.90 for a month - which isn't a lot of money to have unlimited free phone calls.